Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 - Hopes, Wishes And All That

NICOL DAVID
Undisputed squash queen and record six-times world champion

HOPE: To see squash as an Olympic sport hopefully by 2020. I will do everything I can to achieve that.

HOW: Redouble our efforts in convincing the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that squash is worthy of being in the Games. We will be making our picth to the IOC later in the year.

WHAT: I intend to set the tone by making a winning start to the year at the World Series Finals in London. Then it is the usual mix of tournaments until the World Open in December.

Wish: Winning a seventh world title at the Cayman Islands, which is one of my favourite destinations in the world.



LEE CHONG WEI
World No.1 badminton player

HOPE: The goal is to stay fit and injury free in the next eight months to achieve my dream of winning the Olympics gold medal.

HOW: It will be a hectic year and I will have to choose my tournaments carefully in order not to peak too soon.

WHAT: Lin Dan will still be my biggest threat. I’m not really worried about Chen Long as I think I have his neasure. Hopefully, the rankings will stay unchanged (Chong Wei is No.1 and Lin Dan No.2) so I don’t meet Lin Dan in the semi-finals.

WISH: Winning the Olympics gold of course. That is what all athletes aspire for and this will be my last shot at it.

JOSIAH NG
Track cyclist
(Commonwealth Games gold medallist in keirin, Asian Games silver medallist in keirin and multiple World Cup medallist)

HOPE: My most important goal is to be in peak form for the London Olympics. My dream is of course to win the keirin gold, that would be incredible.

HOW: I will aim to continue my progression with more shock and awe training. I also need to psyche myself up for the Olympics as though I’m going to war.

WHAT: The build-up to the Games is crucial as I have to avoid injury and sickness. It’s all about getting the timing right. I need to improve my diet as I have a weakness for the good things in life.

WISH: Being in my zone at the Olympics and riding the perfect race to win gold.

MOHD ZULFAHMI KHAIRUDDIN
Motorcyclist in his third season in the Moto3 World Championship

HOPE: Progress to the next level with a better machine and, hopefully, finish all the races.

HOW: I have to be more positive and believe in my ability. I have to avoid unnecessary distractions and follow the training regimen set by my trainer. I must also work on developing my physical strength to better handle my machine.

WHAT: My biggest problem is losing concentration and making silly mistakes during race weekend. I have to stay more focused. My physical strength as I need to be able to sustain the pressures of the machine.

WISH: Win some legs of the circuit and be recognised as a serious contender.

BRYAN NICKSON LOMAS
Diver (Former world junior champion, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist, already qualified for two events for the London Olympics)

HOPE: To make an Olympic final in platform diving for the first time and, hopefully, win a medal.

HOW: By raising my standard to match the Chinese and Russians and by being consistent with it. Need to work out my flaws and strive for perfection.

WHAT: Have to learn how to concentrate more and stay focused during competitions. Biggest fear is getting injured before the Olympics so I have to be extra careful.

I also have to start believing that I have what it takes to win at the highest level.

WISH: Olympic gold of course. That one perfect dive will do it.

SAFIQ RAHIM
National football team captain

HOPE: I have yet to win the FA Cup and Malaysia Cup so my target is to win both with Selangor this season.

HOW: I have to work harder to improve my game but we need a collective team effort to achieve our target.

WHAT: We ended the season trophyless as we struggled with injuries. I hope to be injury-free this year and work on improving my form and fitness.

WISH: For Selangor and the national team to win some significant honours.

G. YAMINI
National karate exponent

HOPE: I’ll be competing in the World Championships in Paris and want to better my semi-final finish in 2006 and return with a medal.

HOW: I have learnt from my mistakes in 2006 and have redoubled my efforts in training. I’ll be better prepared this year.

WHAT: My lack of experience cost me the last time out at the world meet. But I have since won medals at the Asian and SEA Games and will be able to handle the situation better now. I need to work on my close fighting technique as I think it is still average compared to the Europeans.

WISH: A medal in Paris would be the crowning glory of my career and I intend to do everything possible to win one.

JACQUELINE JENELEE SIJORE
National bowler
(Women’s World Championships gold medallist)

HOPE: Last year was great as I won the gold in the world meet. I hope to top that if possible by winning more tournaments. HOW: I’ll have to be less erratic and more consistent. That means working harder on my game.

WHAT: Costing the team victory and losing to Singapore in the SEA Games was a major downer. I don’t ever want to be in that position again.

WISH: Being more independent and mature will help me in Open tournaments where the coach will not be able to help all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment